FA Cup fourth round: Lincoln glory, Wycombe agony and Liverpool lose again

  • lincoln-fa-cup

FA Cup fourth round: Lincoln glory, Wycombe agony and Liverpool lose again

National League side Lincoln pulled off another FA Cup shock but Wycombe suffered late heartbreak at Tottenham on a dramatic afternoon of fourth round action.

The Imps, who beat Ipswich after a replay in round three, had to come from behind to beat Championship title hopefuls Brighton 3-1 after Richie Towell struck on 24 minutes.

But Alan Power restored parity from the spot (57) and an own-goal from Seagulls defender Fikayo Tomori – on loan from Chelsea – turned the tie in the non-league side’s favour on 62 minutes.

Theo Robinson added a third on the break to secure Lincoln’s place in the FA Cup fifth round for the first time in 130 years.

League Two Wycombe looked set to claim a stunning scalp of their own but Tottenham – who were 2-0 down – scored two late goals to seal a dramatic 4-3 win at White Hart Lane.

Wycombe went ahead on 23 minutes when captain Paul Hayes fired a volley past Michel Vorm and Spurs – who made nine changes from the starting XI which drew at Manchester City – were stunned again when Hayes converted a penalty in the 36th minute.

Son Heung-min pulled the Premier League side back into the tie on the hour and Vincent Janssen levelled when the Dutchman slotted in a 65th-minute penalty.

However, the Chairboys – fifth in League Two – silenced the White Hart Lane faithful once again as Garry Thompson headed home with just seven minutes left.

The Sky Bet Championship side were ahead after just 52 seconds when Richard Stearman glanced in a free-kick at the far post and the Reds – ousted from the EFL Cup by Southampton in midweek – fell further behind just before the break when Andreas Weimann, on loan from Derby, slotted in after a swift counter attack.

Divock Origi pulled a goal back for Jurgen Klopp’s much-changed side with five minutes left, but Wolves held out for the closing stages to claim another Premier League scalp after knocking out Stoke in round three.

Championship high-flyers Newcastle were left to concentrate on their promotion bid after losing 3-0 at League One Oxford.

Kane Hemmings fired the U’s in front two minutes into the second half and though Aleksandar Mitrovic had the chance to level from a penalty on 67 minutes, but the Serb’s spot-kick was saved by Simon Eastwood.

With nine minutes left, Curtis Nelson headed home from a corner and Antonio Martinez nodded in a late third.

There was no such trouble for Premier League leaders Chelsea, who saw off Brentford 4-0 at Stamford Bridge.

Willian opened the scoring on 14 minutes with a fine free-kick, before Spain forward Pedro made it 2-0 before the break.

Substitute Branislav Ivanovic – who is reportedly set for a move away from Stamford Bridge before the end of the transfer window – added a third on 69 minutes and Michy Batshuayi scored a late penalty.

Manchester City ran out 3-0 winners at Premier League strugglers Crystal Palace.

Winger Raheem Sterling broke the deadlock just before half-time, with Leroy Sane and Yaya Toure, in the last minute, completing a comfortable afternoon in south London for Pep Guardiola’s men.

Middlesbrough saw off League Two Accrington Stanley 1-0 at the Riverside Stadium with a 25-yard effort from Stewart Downing in the second half.

Burnley beat Bristol City 2-0 at Turf Moor, where Wales forward Sam Vokes and Belgian Steven Defour were on target.

Huddersfield won 4-0 at Rochdale. German forward Collin Quaner, signed from Union Berlin, scored on his debut before a penalty from Isaiah Brown and a late double for Michael Hefele secured the Terriers’ place in the last 16.

Blackburn beat Blackpool 2-0, as the visitors finished with 10 men at Ewood Park.

Sam Gallagher put Rovers ahead on nine minutes, with winger Elliott Bennett doubling the lead in the 22nd minute before Blackpool midfielder Kelvin Mellor collected a second caution midway through the second half.

In Saturday’s evening encounter, Theo Walcott hit a hat-trick as Arsenal thrashed EFL Cup finalists Southampton 5-0 at St Mary’s.

Danny Welbeck – making his first start since May 2016 – also scored twice as Arsene Wenger’s men cruised into round five.